Launchers with Known Issues
Icons disappearing? It’s your launcher, not Hermit
There is a standard Shortcuts API on Android for adding icons to your home screen, and most launchers support it well. However, some launchers have bugs.
The Shortcuts API works like this: Hermit asks your Launcher to create an icon by passing it an image and a title. After that point, there is no interaction between Hermit and your Launcher, and it is the Launcher’s responsibility to maintain those icons at their correct positions, with the correct icons & titles.
- Icons get deleted on reboot.
- All Hermit icons start showing the Hermit app logo, not the Lite App‘s icon you chose.
- All Hermit icons get the name “Hermit ” instead of the name of the Lite App you picked.
We recommend you report these bugs to your launcher developers.
Instead of Hermit requesting your launcher to add an icon, you can have your launcher ask Hermit for an icon. To do this
- Follow your launcher’s instructions for adding a New Shortcut or Widget
- From that list, pick “Hermit — Create a Lite App”
- Then pick your Lite App from the list that appears.
There is no guarantee this will work in a buggy launcher, but it is definitely worth trying. So, in addition, please contact your launcher developer and inform them of the bug in their software.
We highly recommend Google’s own Google Now Launcher, which is available for free in the Google Play Store to install on any Android phone.
Launchers with Bugs
Please reach out to the developers of these launchers to file bugs with them.
- ❌ Nova Launcher: We’ve noticed multiple reports of Nova Launcher recently starting to demonstrate this behavior, too.
- ⚙️ EMUI Launcher: Apps are blocked from creating home screen shortcuts by default on EMUI. To enable Hermit to work correctly, go to EMUI’s Apps Permission Manager, and unblock Hermit from creating home screen shortcuts.
- ❌ Z Launcher: Only shows the first icon. All other icons are not shown.
- ❌ CM Launcher: Icons may disappear.
- ❌ Nano Launcher
- ❌ Tap2 Launcher
- ❌ SF Launcher
- ❌ OnePlus devices with OxygenOS Launcher: Set up works correctly, the icon names are correctly stored and displayed. But as soon as you restart the device, all names are forgotten and only display as “Hermit” for all Lite Apps.