Newest Version: 10.O
- 🆕 Android O: The version has no name, but new features are coming. Hermit is ready for Android O!
- 🆕 Notification Channels: Control every aspect of Lite App notifications through Android O’s centralized notification manager.
- 🆕 New Shortcuts API: Sadly, on Android O, shortcut icons are no longer as pretty as they used to be, so read this first.
- 🆕 Phishing and Malware Protection: If any malware sites manage to get through Hermit’s Ad & Malware Blocker (which is already very restrictive), then they will be automatically flagged by Google’s Malware Blocker (the same as what is used in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari). Read more about Privacy-Focused Blocking.
- 🆕 Incognito Keyboard: Any URLs or queries you type will be marked as private by your keyboard. Form data won’t be saved either.
- 🆕 Halo! Ciao! Now in Indonesian and Italian too.
- 🆕 Cleaner Reader View: Large images at the top, cleaner text formatting makes it easier to read.
- 🆕 BETA label: Easier to identify BETA builds & leave Beta if you see crashes or other instability.
- 🆕 Alphabetical Sorting for Lite Apps.
- ⚡ More aggressive caching for Web pages. Let us know how fast it feels!
- ⚡ Release resources more aggressively when leaving a Lite App.
- ⚡ Many internal changes in how Lite Apps are imported and exported (JSONObject → Gson).
- 🐞 Fixed: Many crashes caused by Google Play Services by upgrading the library to a new version.
- 🐞 Fixed: Drag-to-reorder bug in the list of Lite Apps and Bookmarks.
- 🐞 Fixed: Keep screen on when playing full-screen videos.
- 🐞 Fixed: Opening the keyboard in Full Screen mode no longer obscures content on the page.
- 🆕 Web Monitors — track changes to any Web Page, e.g. Facebook Notifications
- 🆕 Improved flow to add multiple Lite Apps at once: one-click for Lite Apps from Library, and many more options for Create Your Own (monogram, custom icon, colors, etc.)
- 🆕 Auto Update all Lite Apps from the Hermit Library (no action required to get new features in individual Lite Apps)
- 🆕 Allow sharing articles to native apps such as WhatsApp and SMS. (Note: installing new native apps is still blocked for your protection)
- 🆕 Turn off notifications for a particular Lite App from the notification itself
- 🆕 Option to sync feeds at 15 minute intervals. (Previous options included 5 minutes and 30 minutes)
- 🆕 Premium users can hide the Help menu, Social Media link, and “Invite Friends” menu
- 🆕 New setting to skip creating home-screen icons
- 🆕 Splash screen is less splashy: no app name shown, only the icon
- 🆕 More accessible sticky buttons in left drawer for Close, Customize, and All Lite Apps
- 🐞 When a new version is available, don’t notify at every app launch, and show a clear message (say “New version available” instead of “What’s New”)
- 🐞 Import Lite Apps from content:// URIs correctly on Android Nougat and above
- 🐞 Reader View now correctly shows the hero image for all articles correctly
- 🐞 Small fixes to URL editing code (applies to Feeds, Web Monitors, Bookmarks, Sharing, Search, and FAB)
- ⚡ No more blank white page on Facebook when redirecting to an external site (Hermit resolves Facebook & Google redirects natively)
- ⚡ Better article parsing for many more sites
- ⚡ Improved start-up time due to lazy initialization, background database handling
- ⚡ Merge Settings and About into a single screen with swiping to toggle between them
- New Unlocker App: Hermit Premium can now be purchased via a separate Unlocker App.
- 📖 Reader Mode: Read the Web the way you want: no ads, no navigation bars, no clutter.
- 📰 Text Browser: Reader Mode in Hermit is not a dead end. Unlike many other browsers, you can switch between Reader Mode and Web Mode whenever you want.
- 4 High-Contrast Color Schemes: White, Sepia, Dark, and Black (for AMOLED screens) — optimized for legibility.
- 15 Hand-Curated Fonts, optimized for legibility of long texts.
- 10 Font Sizes, for comfortable reading.
- Brand New Text Extraction Engine: We looked around, but found none of the existing text extraction engines to be good enough, so we forked our own. Crux is optimized for performance on Android, preserves paragraph formatting & links, and extracts hero images and other metadata as well.
- Maintain your position when reading articles linked from Facebook or Twitter: To keep your place when reading articles posted on Facebook, turn off the Block Popups setting from the Quick Settings panel and turn on “Open links in Lite App” from the Lite App Settings.
- 🆕 Night Mode: Reading in Hermit is now easier on the eyes at night.
- 🆕 Custom Themes in Night Mode: Pick your own theme to style pages.
- 🆕 Quick Settings Tile on Nougat: Boss Key immediately closes all open Lite Apps.
- 🆕 Launcher Shortcut Picker: Place your Lite Apps within your launcher in more places than before!
- 🆕 Automatic AMP Redirection: Now enabled by default for all Lite Apps.
- 🆕 Scroll to Top: With a new pill layout!
- 🆕 Third-party cookies can be selectively enabled for sites that require it.
- 🆕 Added Japanese translation.
- 🆕 Improvements for pages that are not optimized for mobile: show in zoomed-out view, use text reflow.
- 🐞 Keep Lite Apps in memory longer, don’t reload when going back to an already-open Lite App.
- 🐞 Don’t reload the page when changing Quick Settings.
- 🐞 If a feed is temporarily unavailable, don’t disable the feed entirely.
- 🐞 Ensure that the sync frequency for feeds is honored in all cases.
- ⚡ Faster than Lite. Automatically load Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) instead of slow regular pages.
- 🆕 Lite App Widget. Use with launchers that have buggy icon behavior.
- 🆕 Find in Page
- 🆕 New Button to close Lite App
- 🆕 Replaced introduction slide show by feature tooltips.
- 🆕 Create monogrammed icons (with your own choice of color) when a site does not have a high quality icon.
- 🆕 Type theme colors as hex codes, without using the color picker.
- 🆕 Change a Lite App’s URL after creating it.
- 🆕 No need to type http:// before example.com when creating a Lite App.
- 🆕 Ability to silence SSL warnings permanently.
- 🆕 Now possible to have more than one Share Integration URL per Lite App.
- 🐞 Fixed crash on Android Nougat when sharing Lite Apps.
- 🐞 Fixed crash on Marshmallow when downloading files.
- 🆕 Share your Lite Apps with other Hermit fans!
- 🆕 Backup & Restore Lite Apps — even if you uninstall and reinstall Hermit.
- 🆕 New icon & Facebook Page: Check out facebook.com/hermitapp
- 🆕 Reorder Lite Apps and Bookmarks. Long-tap any Lite App, then drag and drop to re-order.
- 🆕 Atom feeds supported for Notifications.
- 🆕 Popup Blocker can be disabled to support Google Login to sites like Pocket.
- 🐞 Removed the Customize button from the Lite Apps list, since many users were getting confused when the Lite App opened directly to the Customization view.
- 🐞 Scroll the Floating Action Button out of the way when the user is browsing the Lite App.
- 🐞 Don’t immediately disable a feed when it’s found to be temporarily broken.
- 🐞 Group any notifications over 3 into a single grouped notification.
- 🆕 Long-press the BACK button to kill a Lite App.
- 🐞 Set the user agent for the WebView correctly.
- 🐞 Handle customization changes involving multiple tabs correctly.
- 🆕 Optimized for Android Nougat! (SDK 24)
- 🆕 Multi-Window support: Watch videos while browsing your favorite sites, without waiting for those other apps to implement multi-window support.
- 🆕 Zero permissions for usual usage: you only need to allow special permissions for special actions (e.g. location permission only when you want to check-in to a place, or camera/microphone when taking a phone or conducting a video call.)
- 🆕 Lite App Specific Permissions: Stronger controls than Android Marshmallow permissions model.
- 🆕 Scroll to Top button is now optional; turn it on or off from the Customize screen.
- 🆕 Direct Share: Share content from any Android app directly to a Lite App. More configuration assistance coming soon.
- 🆕 Create Content FAB: Configure your own URL for a FAB in every Lite App. More configuration assistance coming soon.
- 🐞 Don’t attempt to fetch feeds or malware blocklists when offline.
- 🐞 When text zoom is changed, save the shortcut immediately.
- 🐞 New text hint in the searchbox when a Lite App has a search integration configured.
- 🐞 Don’t vibrate with a default pattern if the user explicitly set it to a blank pattern.
- ⚡ Performance improvements in the in-app billing implementation.
- ⚡ Web Links to create new Lite Apps (via hermit.chimbori.com/create) open in Hermit by default.
- ⚡ RAM improvements all over: several features optimized to use even less RAM than earlier.
- ⚡ Improved startup performance: Hermit now starts up 1.6×—2× faster than earlier.
- 🆕 Add a separate menu item under About to show the What’s New dialog.
- 🆕 Allow deleting feed URLs created via the manifest.
- 🆕 Changes to the Feature Tour: simpler instructions and detailed steps for how the user should use Hermit
- 🆕 Copy URL & Share actions in the long-click menu for links in the WebView, and Share image for Images.
- 🐞 If there was a problem fetching any feed, show a message in that Lite App the next time the user opens it.
- 🐞 Automatically disable a feed if the server returns a 404, to avoid hammering the server.
- 🐞 Return to the list of Lite Apps after creating a new Lite App.
- 🐞 Improved startup performance: only does the basic tasks needed to get Hermit up and running as quickly as possible.
- 🐞 Prevent NPE when trying to access ringtones on phones that don’t have a default.
- 🆕 Ad Blocker. The most requested feature is now available. Free for everyone, no subscription fees, no root required, and the block list is updated regularly. 🙈
- 🆕 Quick Settings Sidebar. Instant customization. Just swipe in from the right edge!
- 🆕 Text Zoom. Set the text size for any Lite App, and Hermit will remember it.
- 🐞 Completely re-written in-app billing code.
- 🆕 Automatic update checking. Hermit can now show you within the app when an update is available.
- 🆕 Customize the icon and name after creating any Lite App.
- 🆕 Open links in Lite App, Load images & Do Not Track settings can be applied to individual Lite Apps separately, not globally to all apps.
- 🆕 Handle native app installation prompts more elegantly (no more UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME errors).
- 🐞 On some Samsung phones, downloaded files were being downloaded to an internal directory.
- 🐞 Show pull-to-refresh spinner when tapping on the refresh button.
- 🐞 Better handling of screen changes: you should not see lingering toolbar icons from the previous screen.
- 🐞 Allow certain resources to be loaded over HTTP from HTTPS pages. Fixes image issues with XKCD (SSL).
- 🐞 SSL errors now generate a user warning before proceeding (Addresses Google Play warning).
- 🐞 Icons are now larger than they used to be, while still following Material Design guidelines.
- 🐞 Allow copying the Notification Feed URL after it has been auto-configured.
- 🆕 Data Saver mode: Save-Data HTTP header
- 🆕 Library uses SSL
- 🆕 Download files to phone
- 🐞 Crash seen only by Beta users when deleting icons.
- 🐞 Open links in Lite Apps by default. Solves issues related to OAuth redirection.
- 🐞 Silent notification sounds correctly supported
- 🐞 Re-check aggressively with Google Play whether Premium has already been purchased